Would you believe that pancake batter and chopped produce flying through the air, a pesky critter, or the wrong printer paper can all take down your POS hardware – and more importantly – SALES!!? We can! We see it every day when POS equipment is brought into our repair center!
You know the feeling: the moment that any part of the point of sale system stops working. All of a sudden it’s DEFCON 1 and you're screaming totally inappropriate words at your innocent equipment (or at the staff)! Don’t let this happen to you folks!
Here are some tips to maintain your POS and keep those machines well oiled (‘oiled' being the operative word… NOT ‘greased’ people; save the grease for the fries!!).
- Keep Hardware in a Clean Environment (well, as clean as possible). Grease, batter, flying food particles, etc. can all clog up your machine.
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T the Touch Screen. Use fingertips, not pens on the touch screen (relay this to your staff)! Touch screens are sensitive and react to both pressure and heat. Wipe down your touch screen with Windex or another suitable cleaning agent daily (or at least weekly).
- Clean the MSR. I think we can all accept that we have a co-dependent relationship with our credit card transactions… mental breakdowns can literally occur when the readers don’t work (especially on a busy Friday night). To keep the MSR happy and working, use a q-tip or MSR Cleaning Card to safely clean away dust and debris.
- Keep Receipt Printers Away From Direct Heat. Printers are made of plastic. Plastic melts. Melted printers won’t print. Period.
- Unplug and Brush Out the Printer Weekly. The thermal or print heads need to be clear of all debris to function properly. A printer cover can also help – a lot.
- Use Quality Printer Paper. That “other paper“ can form a residue in the printer causing it to jam (and, we’re not talking about your grandma’s jam).
- Reset Often. Restarting the engines regularly; powering the equipment on and off is the first step to troubleshooting any electronic device issue.
So, there you have it! Consistent upkeep and TLC will result in a longer life for your POS, higher performance, less downtime, and more sales (cha-ching)!
At ReSource - we’ve got your back! Feel free to drop us a line if you have any questions!
Posted by Kelly McCahon